The Foundation principally supports Washington, DC based projects and initiatives in the areas of education, health and human services with measurable and tangible objectives. Funding will only be provided to entities organized and operated exclusively for charitable or educational purposes, which have qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Foundation does not support basic research, scholarships, endowment funds, publications, films, construction, acquisition of buildings, special events/fund raising, sectarian religious activities, political lobbying, or legislative activities. We also tend not to support capital improvement and challenge grant requests.
The grant application deadline is May 31st. It must be postmarked or delivered to the Foundation’s office by 5:00 pm on May 31st. If May 31st falls on Saturday, Sunday or Memorial Day, your submission may be postmarked or delivered by 5:00 on the next business day. All applicants will receive an acknowledgment email upon receipt of their application in the Jones Foundation’s offices.
The Review Process
- The first step in the grant request process is for interested organizations to submit a fully completed Grant Application with required supplemental information.
- Applications are reviewed in June to determine if they fall within the Foundation’s mission, guidelines, priorities and current financial resources.
- Solicitation of individual members of the Board of Directors by potential recipients is forbidden.
- The Board of Directors may request more information from your organization and may also consult with persons knowledgeable about the proposed activities. This request should not be interpreted as an indication of likely support.
- The Board of Directors makes decisions on applications in the Fall.
- If your organization is approved for a grant, you will be required to sign a Grant Agreement specifying reporting requirements and receipt of the grant. Funds will be dispersed by December 31st.
- If your application is declined, you will receive notice no later than November 30th. Even though a project meets established criteria, it may not be funded because of limited resources or other priorities.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive, The Jones Foundation is unable to give specific feedback regarding any denied grants.
- The Board of Directors makes the final decisions on all grants.
Choose between two versions of the application here:
→ A traditional form that you must print out and then fill out by hand and mail.
→ An interactive form that you also have to print out and mail, but you may fill it out on your computer screen by typing directly into the interactive fields.
The Foundation only accept grants that are completed on our Grant Application form. No reproductions or recreations will be accepted.
Required Supplemental Information
- a 501(c)(3) IRS Letter of Determination
- a list of the applicant organization’s Board of Directors
- a Program Budget
- do not send any non-requested information with your application.